Saturday, February 28, 2009

Wildflower Season has Arrived!!


















I hiked around in the Laguna Coast Wilderness today with camera in hand and barely enough water. It is official, wildflower season has arrived! I am not a very experienced wildflower indentifier but I am able to recognize the more common flowers like poppies and lupines and have learned to identify those 'fun to say' flowers like blue dicks and sticky monkey flowers. I saw a number of flowers today that, despite spending an hour searching on CalFlora, I could not identify. I am posting pictures of some of them anyway since I think they are pretty. Reminder: March 6th, the Theodore Payne Wildflower Hotline goes on-line.
Wildlife sightings: I did not see any snakes today (Scott saw one and there was a rumor from another hiker about a rattlesnake ahead on the trail) but, when we got home, there was a huge alligator (I think) lizard in the garage. I am hoping he will stay and clean out some of the daddy long legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment